In 1967, along with a minor update, the F-Series changed the Ranger from an option package to a separate trim level. In response to federal regulations, Ford added a number of exterior lights in 1968 and made some changes to the interior controls.
Another redesign came in 1967 along with a familiar name: the upscale Ranger trim line in addition to the base and Custom Cab trim levels. The three-speed Cruise-O-Matic was optional. In 1968, federal regulations required all automotive manufacturers to add side marker reflectors or lights, so Ford redesigned the hood emblems to incorporate reflectors. The same year the trucks received larger versions of Ford’s FE engine family with the introduction of the 360 and 390 cubic inch engines. Also changed for 1968 were the heater controls, arm rests, interior door handles and window cranks, and the upper trim moulding on models so equipped. Rear side marker reflectors were also added to the lower bed side panels in 1968, per government regulations. The 302 V8 became an option in late ’69. The top trim for 1970 was now named Ranger XLT with Ranger, Sport Custom and Custom rounding off the rest of the line. The fifth generation bodies were noted for durability and simplicity of design making them a favorite for restoration.
Some trucks came with an outer flush mounted bed side compartment/tool box on the passenger side only. Trucks from the Fifth Generation can be identified as to year model by their year specific grille arrangements. At the end of the 1972 F100 production a low number of trucks made had the 1973 body.
After the 1968 models, Ford discontinued the “Low GVWR” versions. Still available was the Camper Special option, along with the new Explorer Special (a limited edition trim and option package), Contractor’s Special(including a behind the seat toolbox and 3/4 ton (F-250) suspension), Farm and Ranch Special, and Heavy-Duty Special. Most of these “specials” from 1967 to 1972 were made in relatively low numbers and are now becoming increasingly difficult to locate. Voltmeters and oil pressure gauges were optional.
The fifth-generation F-Series was introduced in Brazil in 1971, where it remained in production until circa 1992. It received a series of minor redesigns and changes to its motorizations, ending up fitted with a 3.9 litre turbodiesel. Sold as the F-1000, it was the last Ford truck manufactured in the Ipiranga plant which closed soon after the trucks demise. The F-1000 was only available with a single cab, but a number of local specialists custom-built double cabs and even sedan bodywork, to fill the whole left in the market after the 1983 discontinuation of the Ford Galaxie. The F-1000 was complemented by the smaller, car-based Ford Pampa, which was introduced in 1982.
F-100: 1/2 ton (5,600 GVWR max)
F-150: 1/2 ton (4×4)(5,600 GVWR max)
F-250: 3/4 ton (6,500 GVWR max)
F-250: 3/4 ton (4×4)(6,800 GVWR max)
F-350: 1 ton (7,800 GVWR max)
F-350: 1 ton (4×4)(8,000 GVWR max)
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series and http://www.youtube.com