The second generation trucks were given their now familiar names: The F-1 became the F-100, the F-2 became the F-250, and the F-3 became the 1-ton F-350.
The Ford F-Series was redesigned for 1953 with a more integrated look. The pickups also acquired their now familiar names: The F-1 now became the F-100, the F-2 now became the F-250, and the F-3 now became the 1-ton F-350. Optional interior amenities were new, including a dome light, lighter, arm rests, sun visors and a radio. On March 13, 1953, the Ford-O-Matic automatic transmission became an option.
The 1953 F-100 was the last year for the flathead in the US. Models in Canada, however, (Mercury M-Series), retained the flathead. 1954 saw the introduction of the new 239 CID overhead valve Y-block V8, dubbed “Power King.” The six-cylinder engine’s displacement was also increased from 215 to 223 CID and power steering was introduced as an option. In 1955 the 239 Y-block was replaced with the 272 and 292.
The 1956 F-100 is a one-year only body style. The 1956 F-100 is easily identified as it has vertical windshield pillars and a wrap around windshield as opposed to the sloped pillars and angled windshield of the 1953-55. The 1956 model also offered a larger wraparound back window as an option. Starting in 1956, Ford offered the very rare “Low GVWR” versions of each model. Also in 1956, seat belts became an option.
Second generation trucks were built in Brazil from 1957 to 1962 as the F-100, F-350 and F-600.
F-100: 1/2 ton (5,000 GVWR max)
F-110: 1/2 ton (4,000 GVWR max)
F-250: 3/4 ton (7,400 GVWR max)
F-260: 3/4 ton (4,900 GVWR max)
F-350: 1 ton (9,800 GVWR max)
F-360: 1 ton (7,700 GVWR max)
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series and http://www.youtube.com